When is my child considered an adult?

Blog, Family Law

Children cease to be minors upon their 18th birthday. Unless a judge issues a court order to the contrary, children younger than 18 are not allowed to make visitation decisions. If a minor wishes to marry before his or her 18th birthday, he may petition the Court for emancipation from his parents. If the child is 17 and financially able to support herself, or 16, living apart from his parents and financially independent, the Judge may grant the emancipation, effectively “divorcing” that child from her parents.