With a career stretching back over 25 years, there’s very little in the area of Family Law David Housel doesn’t have hands-on experience with. Those who work with David know him as accessible and available to his clients, whether that’s on a Tuesday evening or a Saturday morning. He’s a firm believer that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and that, should a problem arise, solving it as soon as possible benefits everyone involved.
David brings a strong work ethic and tenacious personality to the practice of law and is determined to get things done. As a child of divorce, Family Law is an area he’s deeply passionate about. He has vivid memories of interacting with lawyers and judges as a child and remembers the effect that had on him and his young brothers. Those experiences inform his work today. He wants to make sure that children are protected, their feelings are taken into account, and that their situation brings as little stress as possible into their lives.
When working with clients, planning for the future is at the forefront of David’s mind. For the stay-at-home parent, he wants to make sure they have an income source a year down the road. He wants the parents that just finalized an acrimonious divorce to remember their relationship will stretch years into the future and that they’ll need to find civil ways to interact with one another. David works hard to make these things a reality.
David is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. From 2021 to 2023, he was recognized by Thompson Reuters as a Texas Super Lawyer, an honor which only 5% of attorneys in the state receive each year. He has also been named among the Best Lawyers in America in the area of Family Law. David holds a rating of AV-Preeminent from Martindale-Hubbell, a rating given only to attorneys of the highest ethical standards and legal skill.
David received his law degree from the University of Houston Law Center. He enjoys spending time with his wife and children and regularly playing competitive volleyball.
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Property Division
- Family Violence
- Marital Agreements
- Grandparents’ Rights
- CPS matters
- The interrelated Criminal and Family law case
- Mediation & Arbitration
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- State Bar of Texas
- J.D. – University of Houston Law Center
- B.A. – University of New Mexico
Honors and Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law – 2021-2024
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters – 2021-2023
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Denton County Bar Association, 2000 – current; Director, 2004-2006
- Dallas Bar Association, 2005 – current
- Collin Bar Association, 2015 – current
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, 2005 – current
- Annette Stewart American Inn of Court, 2016 – current