When is my child considered an adult?

By the Attorneys of Orsinger, Nelson, Downing and Anderson, LLP posted in Family Law on July 22nd, 2013

Children cease to be minors upon their 18th birthday. Unless a judge issues a court order to the contrary, children younger than 18 are not allowed to make visitation decisions. If a minor wishes to marry before his or her 18th birthday, he may petition the Court for emancipation from his parents. If the child is 17 and financially able to support herself, or 16, living apart from his parents and financially independent, the Judge may grant the emancipation, effectively “divorcing” that child from her parents.

From Our Clients

    • "They were so attentive and so caring, while at the same time being excellent, hardball lawyers, that I recommend them to anybody facing a divorce. I wish I hadn't needed to hire a 'divorce lawyer,' but I'm glad they were there for me."
      Molly Ann Huie

    • "Thanks to all of you for your help, support, responsiveness, experience and the work you put into this case on my behalf. I have often been told that I have the best family law firm in Texas representing me, and now I can certainly vouch for that with first-hand experience. The entire team was engaged, focused and cohesive, and that is how you get positive results. THANK YOU and best wishes to all of you."
      Bob Tennison

  • Contact Us

    * indicates required field

    Contact Us

    Orsinger, Nelson, Downing and Anderson, LLP

    5950 Sherry Lane :: 8th Floor :: Dallas, Texas 75225 :: Map and Directions :: Phone:  (214) 273-2400 :: Fax: 214-273-2470

    1717 Tower Life Building :: San Antonio, Texas 78205 :: Map and Directions :: Phone: (210) 225-5567 :: Fax: 210-267-7777

    Dallas Google+ | San Antonio Google+ | Privacy Policy | Legal Marketing by Clicked Solutions Marketing